Saturday, May 29, 2010

the photograph in the attic

“Bella sweetie!” Come to mama
“You have grown girl” since last I saw you
The little girl crawls out from underneath the table
Smiling sweetly seeing her mother

Angie looks at her little girl
The unfaithful boyfriend dumped her
One day when she told him of her pregnancy
Andrew quickly withdrew hidden away his emotions

When Angie came home from work
She found her house empty of his belonging
On the table she found a letter..............
“Dear Angie” he says

Bella was 3 years old
When Angie left her to her sister
“Maggie take good care of Bella
I am going to Saudi Arabia”

“How long Angie?”
“A couple of years
Then I will return for Bella”
Maggie waited for years
Angie never comes home

Now in the attic
Bella stares at the photograph
She remembers little of her mother
Now looking at the picture....

Tears begin to fall
Droplets falling onto her hands
Holding the photograph of her dear mother
She looks so exactly like her!

“Bella where are you?”
“I am at the attic Maggie
Trying to sort things out
Before we move ”

Maggie sits on her chair
Taking stock of her dwelling
Years she has been
Taking care of Bella


How the years passed on
In no time she has grown
She looks so like her sister
Nobody knows where she is

Maggie stares at the window panes
How many times she has done it
She hardly can remember..........
Always hoping her sister will walk by

The morning sun playfully dance
The rich bright golden rays of its light
Casting long dark shadows into her home
Blossoming up with golden beam

Maggie thinks “Is this a good omen?
After years of waiting things may have changed?”
“Bella, are you ready yet?”
“Just a minute Maggie!”

Bella sits in the attic
Crossed her legs holding the photograph
“Bella don't be naughty
Now eat your cereals”

Bella eying her mother
Closing one eye....
She pretends she doesn't know
“Bella! Be a good girl!”

“I don't want to eat
Mommy I want an ice cream”
“Bella sweetie not in the morning
Now take your cereal.........”

The memories of her history
Suddenly appears like yesterday
Angie looking stern but smiling
Bella wipes her tears from her eyes

“Where are you mommy?
It has been a long time
You don't write; you never call
Are you dead or alive?”

“Bella the taxi has arrived”
“I will be down Maggie
Some loose ends to tie up”
“Be quick you hear me?”

Bella stares at the photograph
Years of memories flashing back
The smile of her mother makes the world free
In her small mind she loved it the most

The years gone
One day her mother left her
Telling her she would be back
In a couple of years.........

Since then she stays
With her aunt Maggie
She has become part of her life
Maggie doesn't get married

Though through the years
Many suitors came and gone
Maggie holds on to her responsibility
Even though Angie never writes or calls

Maggie dreams about her sister
Leaving her daughter for her....
She sits on her chair again
Munching her biscuits drinking her tea

Times are bad for them
Jobs are cut opportunities drying up
Maggie has to sell her house
Moving out to a small town

The purchaser had paid
The down payment for the house
The property agent didn't disclose the buyer
Maggie accepted the deposit

Promising to move out within 3 months
Now the time has come to leave the house
Maggie cries silently leaving her footprints behind
In this house her parents and Angie and Maggie

2 weeks ago Maggie received her money
She sold the house for over $500,000/-
Maggie thinks she can manage it
On a small scale in a small town

She takes a bite of her biscuit
Sipping her tea small teardrops fall
She quickly wipes it away
When she looks up...she sees some one familiar!

Maggie opens her mouth
Staring at the woman walking nearer to her house
“She can't be her!
After all these years!”

Maggie wipes her tears
Trying to believe she is Angie
She has finally come home!
She stares again at the approaching figure

Angie by now could be in her early forties
Maggie tries to visualize what she will look
Through the window she sees the same features
Angie hardly age at all!

Maggie quickly runs to the door
Opening it she sees the woman approaching
On the front porch she smile sweetly
“Maggie my sister!”

“Is that you Angie?
You hardly aged in those years!”
The sisters hug shading tears of joy
“I am sorry I hardly write or call”

“Now let me look at you!
The years have changed
You seem the same
I thought I see a wrong person”

The taxi driver walks to Maggie
“Are you leaving now?”
“Can you wait for a while?”
“Sure ma'am is your money”

Angie queries
“Leaving this house?”
“I had sold it Angie
I need money to live”

“I thought...........”
“No Angie years are hard
The economy is bad so I had to sell”
“Didn't the agent tell you anything?”

Maggie stares at her sister
“What are you saying Angie?”
“I know how stubborn and proud you are
Only in this way you will accept...”


Maggie eye to eye with Angie
“You mean you bought the house?”
“Yes Maggie and you aren't leaving
I have come home to stay!”

“You surprise me Angie!
All those years you don't write or call
And now you bought the house
I put it for sale”

“I saw it on internet
So I contacted Tom
One of my high school boyfriends
He arranged all the whole transactions
Keeping the details out from you”

“Still you never call me Angie”
“I know I didn't Maggie
I want to surprise you
Come on you love surprises!”

“I told Tom
You can stay and don't leave the house
I guess Tom forgot about it”
Maggie takes Angie's hands

“You better come in
This is your house”
“No Maggie
It is our home
It never changes”

Maggie calls up the attic
“Bella you have a surprise
You better come down now
You will not regret it”

Angie picks up
“Bella here?”
“She is in the attic
Quite a while she stays there”

Bella takes a deep breath
Wiping her tears remembering her mother
The sweet smile lingering in her mind
As she slowly climbs down from the attic


“Maggie I am ready now”
She touches the banister
The woods of her childhood play
Walking hurriedly to the kitchen

Right as she enters
The woman so like her mother
Smiling sweetly as if of yesterday
“Mom! You are back!”

“Yes Bella
Mommy is back!
Now come to mommy
You look exactly like me!”

Bella tears falling
Crying of happiness
Angie her mother is back
And she is moving house

When the reunion is over
“You don't have to move out
I bought this house........
It belongs in the family”

Bella hugs her mother
“So Maggie, you and I
All staying here for good?”
“It is Bella”

The morning sun rays rising high
Shadows flow laughter in the house
The memories of the past floating along
The house remain in sister's hand

Bella smile exactly like her mother
The world in her life finally completes
The shadows of the 3 women
Mingle into one as laughter rings

No comments: