Sunday, October 17, 2010

the village woodcutter 1

pontianak.jpg Pontianak image by norazlena

Pontianak

The village woodcutter
Sitting alone smoking his pipe
Blowing misty smoke in the air
With waving kerosene light

On his rocking chair
He rocked his world
The children all gone
Even his wife too

How did it happen?
He would tell the familiar story
Of his youth cutting woods
In the jungle he always looked

After prayer and his dinner
He would begin his story
Around his house entertaining crowd
The village of mix races living in unity

The village youth eager to learn a thing or two
Of the jungle mysteries trapping many wayward hunters
Of the stories of those got trapped in darkness
They never found their way home..........

Those were the years
In the village before bulldozers came
Destroying the natural environment
High rise buildings, commerce and trade

The open compound
Trees of rambutan and bananas
Lying along the fence and back of the house
On a quiet night the whispering by the wind

The mix young people
They came to listen to his story
About his wife and children
Believe it or not he didn't say

After prayers they came
Bringing with them titbits
On the verandah they waited
For the old woodcutter to begin

“It all started
One day I went to the collect rubber wood
Walking a distance of 3km deep into the jungle
I heard a woman crying..........”

“There I was ready to collect my woods
I stood there listening with my ears...
The soft crying of a woman somewhere in the bushes
I stopped what I was doing.............

I checked my watch
It was in the early morning sun
The rays shone splitting shadows
In the green forest the reflection of dews

You may think I was dreaming
In the jungle alone collecting woods
I had traveled here many times
Watching the waterfall and buzzing insects

I didn't prepare to hear woman's crying
My hair stood up ears picked up quickly
I turned around listening hard for the sound
There it went the sniffing echo...........

My ears picked it up
On my west direction I found
The source of the crying
I walked there quickly

I held my long axe
Walking cautiously towards the sound
When I finally reached there
The woman sprung up at me

I dropped my long axe
She landed on me
We wrestled on the grass and twigs
Hitting our backs on the broken wood

I grabbed her hands
Then I saw her long sharp nails
This woman wasn't human
I struggled with her again

I grabbed with I could
Hitting her with all I had
Yet she didn't go away
I picked up nails on the soft ground

I used it to pierce deep in her head
She stopped struggling with me
I got up quickly and gave her another nail
She collapsed on the grass floor...”



“I saw the face
I couldn't turn away
I bent down to feel it
I hammered the last nail in

She struggled then she laid limp
I thought she was dead......
The creature of the dark
I was wrong; I was indeed!

I picked up my long axe
I didn't like what I saw
This woman creature on the ground
When I came back to finish my job...

She was sitting on the tree trunk
The most beautiful woman I ever saw
“What are you Miss?
You shouldn't play game here”

“You think I want to
I lived in this wood
Now I belong to you
You saved me from my crimes”

“I didn't save you
You attacked me
With the evil face
I wished I didn't see it”

“Woodcutter you have no choice
I will follow you home like it or not
My life belongs to you now
I have to take care of you”

“I don't need
I have enough troubles already”
“Precisely I have to live with you
You live happy with me”

The woodcutter liked her
So he took her home to the village
The villagers came to ask
“Who is the woman?”

The woodcutter did the honest thing
Married her with proper procedures
Everything turned out fine for them
They lived happily with shared dreams


“No honeymoon?”
“In my time only visit the town
That took us a couple of hours
With the bicycle....”

In years down the road
We had children running in the yard
She was caring and we made it
The years were a total bliss

I was growing old
And she always looks the same
Aging has nothing to do with her
She is exactly the same as I found

As I stood by the window one day
The sun was going down.....
The sky glimmered with light orange cry
Splashing vividly in the sky

She was holding her youngest child
A girl with long hair laughing sweetly
She played on her hair touching her cheeks
The young child did the copy cat thing

I saw she took out her nail
The young girl thought it was a game
another one came out through her fingers
I was horrified watching from the window

I felt something bad
I quickly walked out from the house
As I opened the door
I saw my daughter pulled out another

The mother screamed in the dim sun ray
As she begins to transform into the evil self
The young girl cries loudly.............
I ran across hoping I wasn't too late

She picked her daughter
With one swift move she yanked off her head
Right into my eyes as I ran forward
“You are too late man!”

She threw the lifeless body on the grass
Laughing her way as if nothing to worry
“You are too late man
You are too late!”


“The light dim in my life
As I watched with horror
The little girl died without knowing why
By the hands of her mother

All those years ago
I didn't know about her background
What she had turned into
How I managed to make her whole

Was it fate I was there?
Was she waiting for me?
I didn't know I only saw the beauty
Of nature and her glory

Now she face me
Taunting eyes sharp finger nails
She had transformed into her old
The evil she once was

At that moment my two sons came home
After a game of football at the nearby field
As they walked into the compound
The evil landed on them in seconds

They were dead before I could shout
So fast and effective she killed her children
All laid dead with blood on the ground
Leaving me alone watching the horror in my life”

The woodcutter takes a sip of his warm drink
Then he smokes his pipe to relax his mood
The night stars shining in the dark clouds
The dim light of stars in his eyes

“Now the evil woman turned her head
Blooding flowing from her mouth.....
I stood my ground many thoughts running wild
I couldn't find an answer only the 2 big nails nearby

I ran to it holding it in my hands
I felt the power I could do something after all
These big nails would make her pay.........
The evil must be destroyed

Two black dogs ran to her
Barking wildly surrounding the perimeter
I had a few seconds to move in
I took it with a wild scream

The evil woman was staring at the barking dogs
Eyes looking left to right; right to left
I came running the 100 meter dash............
I tripped and flew right into her

With my out stretched hands
The big nails got into target
The 3 big nails struck into her heart
She collapsed slowly on the ground

The black dogs attacked her furiously
She screamed with her loud voice
She just couldn't move her body
She was motionless.............

The black dogs panting
As I chased them away
Barking in the night
As the evil woman looked at me

When I walked nearer to her
She had changed into a normal person
Tears fell as I watched her
Raising her hands to me

“I am so sorry honey
I didn't know what I did
Our children all gone
I am to blame”

“I am sorry too
I didn't know what to do
Now you will leave me
Wait for me in the next world”

“The two black dogs are the keepers
I have no power over them...........
They protect the innocent
From people like me...”

The village woodcutter got up
“It's time to sleep and dream
We all have secrets in our lives
In time all will be revealed”

No comments: