Friday, September 30, 2005

property 4

Not all non-bumis can afford houses Sue Sep 29, 05 3:18pm


I would like to give my two sen worth of opinion as regards to the letter Housing discounts are a help to bumis. I am of the view that Jan has missed the point here. Jan is arguing that discounts are needed by the bumis because they cannot afford to buy the houses at the prices quoted. My question to Jan is, does Jan sincerely think that all non-bumis can afford the houses that are sold on the market today? I am almost 40 and am earning a four-figure salary. And I don't have a house in my name. Even if I was a bumi, I still cannot afford the houses that are on sale today. If I get a bank loan, I would have to work myself to the bone to settle my debt to the bank. Worse still if it is a loan dragged on for more than 20 years. Arggh ... I have to work until it is time to go to my grave! The point is, what is the purpose of giving discounts? Because the truth is, bumis or non-bumis, no one can afford these houses unless they are some 'orang kaya' who by the way may not necessarily be a non-bumi. So Jan, open your eyes and your heart. I truly believe you do not have many friends of other races to understand that they, too, are struggling to make ends meet, that they too have no time to be with their families or go for holidays. They, too, are staying in rented houses or putting up with their parents. Those lucky ones who do manage to buy a house are bonded for life with you-know-who - the biggest loan sharks of all. So Jan, stop feeling sorry for yourself. Start feeling for others too, irrespective whether they are bumis or not.




Housing discounts there to appease ordinary bumis Deserving Citizen Sep 29, 05 3:16pm


I refer to Jan's letter Housing discounts are a help to bumis. As far as I know, there never has been an instance where non-Malays have ever been against the five percent housing discount being given to those who deserve it. If the deserving case is a bumiputera, so be it. But to provide this incentive even to rich and undeserving bumiputeras has been what the non-bumiputeras are against. The debate has shifted to how an elite group of bumiputeras have used the NEP to enrich themselves, not only at the expense of the non-bumis, but worse still, at the expense of deserving bumis referred to as the marginalised bumis. Believe me Jan, if the bumis need help, and indeed we believe there are deserving cases, then providing them with this sort of affirmative action would be gladly welcomed by the non-bumis. If my understanding about you from your letter is correct, you too realise that such a deserving and underprivileged group exists among all the races. When the government mooted the NEP, it was to eradicate poverty among all the races. Totally hijacked by the Umno-led government, most of the millions (or billions) ended up in the coffers of unworthy Umnoputras at the expense of ordinary and deserving bumiputeras like you. If you are still oblivious to what is happening and what the real truth is, you are certainly barking up the wrong tree. These small housing discounts are to appease the ordinary bumis whereas the big tenders are for them to keep. Please wake up and understand that we are in the same boat with you

No comments: