Sunday, May 27, 2007

the hummers

Now I begin to observe the humming birds. I dont have to go very far though. It is in my garden I watch. Now these hummers build a nest on one of the potted plants. This is the second bird's nest on the same bamboo plant. The first one I cut and threw it away after the small birdies had grown and flew away. There are the rituals of making noises and mating; flying here and there and then fly across to the trees. Last few days I observed the female hummer had laid her eggs. At first it was an egg, then two days later I saw there were 2 eggs and finally there were 3 eggs. My first impression of the eggs were small like the lizard's eggs but I was wrong. On the subsequent days I found the eggs grew bigger now. It double up its original size. When I read the article on the humming birds they lay 2 eggs and it takes a month for the birdies to fly away. There are 1,800 different types of humming birds in the world. I think these hummers here are the commonest type..The female hummer only comes back somewhere around 7.15-7.30pm to warm her eggs. Yesterday I was sitting in the patio watching it. It didnt come right to her nest. It flew from one pot to another then flew away again when it observed movements around her eyes. It flew from the west then east and pretending to come and go. Obviously trying to distract her enemy away from her nest of eggs. I was keeping a keen eye of its antics. I think it tells of how one tries to outwit another either in work or in promotion or takes over a leadership. One has to distract one's adversary. When I had enough of watching the hummer, I walked away from my sitting rattan chair(s) and switched off the water flowing fountain, the female hummer immediately flew into her nest. Less than a minute I observed her movement. When the coast is clear time to catch whatever one needs to do...Think about it.....humans too behave like the hummers. Observe, hide, distract, lie, then go for the reward when the coast is clear...

No comments: