Thursday, October 11, 2007

THE 9TH GOD FESTIVAL

The 9th God Kow Ong Yah Festival is today. It rains now until the festival is over. In Penang as I could remember many stalls will be set up along Burma Road. It is this time the Chinese of Buddhist faith will eat only vegetables. I use to remark that the Chinese dont forget about meat. Every vegetarian stall on display will sell vegetarian meat in most of the dishes. It is in name but the Chinese can't forget meat. So in a way the Chinese in Taoist faith dont get it right most of the times. They shouldnt think of meat though publicly they say they are vegetarian for the next 9 days. But in my view they are only fooling themselves. When the mind can't get it free, the fasting isnt complete. I suppose it is true with the other faiths. Even in fasting for the Muslim one must be free in the mind though physically one has to forgo food and liquid for 12 hours. I tell you it isnt easy to control it in the mind. It takes practise and conviction and faith to carry it through. During this vegetarian crusade for the Chinese, many stalls will make money. I dont like eating it when I was in Penang for years because the food is too oily. I rather went to China town and eat porridge on stool. Now I dont know whether the stall is still there.............It has been years I haven't set foot in Penang. But one thing I know the traffic becomes worst every day. I am happy I get out before I become stress out........

No comments: