Sunday, March 18, 2007

at the top you are alone








When you reach to the top of the organization, you will feel lonely up there. Sure you get big fat pay every month and sometimes fat bonuses too. You will lose practically many of your friends or colleagues whom you worked together. Because now you have to fight for the company not your family or your friends or colleagues. You have become a different party animal. When you leave the organization, only few people will remember. As years toll the time, you will be practically forgotten. Not many of us are like Muhammad or Jesus or Buddha or Winston Churchill or Adolf Hitler...they had gone but their names we can recall...Now in most organizations, the employees will brand you THE BOSS Some people like to be known as such. It gives them the power over other people. It gives them the pride - a feeling that they have the power to fire and hire. During my tenure then I had tried to avoid them calling me that. In all my years of running a company, I couldnt get through them. I like my name but not the branding which I didnt like at all. I had told them in all meetings yet I didnt get it through. Mind you I spoke in Malay in all my meetings then but my 99% employees still called me "The Boss" Anyway I had my time staying at the top. Then I gave it up and went on m y own ways. After so many years down the road, I am still surfing the net. I dont have to worry about marketing, budgets, administration and management, hiring and firing employees, interaction amongst staff and suppliers or worrying about finance or trying to solve problems for the other managers reporting to me. Nay...I gave it up to flow with my time.........

No comments: