Sunday, October 24, 2010

in the old village


nice kampong











In the old village
There lived 2 sisters
Elderly in their years
Mothers would tell

“Children don't be naughty
If you do, beware of the elderly sisters
They put charm on you
Then you know where to be”

Behind the old house
In the village of Kampung Kuantan
There was a well...........
The elderly sisters would come for their bath

With a pail holding up long cloth wrapped around bodies
They took time to clean themselves in the evening light
Once I was at the backyard checking for eggs..........
I looked at them; they stared back at me

Mumbling something I didn't hear
I quickly ran back to the house
Why want to bother them?
Witches as the adults claimed

They lived alone
On the Malay styled house
The sisters didn't harm any one
They minded their own business

Years down the road
We shifted house
The old village gone
It stayed in my mind

Sometimes I remembered
The 2 elderly sisters and the well
The staring eyes as If I did something wrong
As I ran back to the house

No comments: